Langford Books Edited by Langford For Sale: BUY
New and Forthcoming
- Starcombing: columns, essays, reviews and more-- 85 newly collected Langford pieces published in the 21st century. Cosmos Books, [expected] May 2009.
- The Limbo Files -- a collection of my columns on writing and freelancing (and other things) for the magazines 8000 Plus, PCW Plus and PCW Today magazine from 1986 to 2002. Cosmos Books, March 2009.
- The Apricot Files -- a somewhat specialist collection of my columns for Apricot File magazine in the 1980s. Published by Ansible Information in association with Lulu.com.
- The End of Harry Potter? -- nonfiction hardback from Gollancz, at last published on 9 November 2006. It was reissued as a Tor (USA) trade paperback in March 2007, and as a Gollancz trade paperback in May 2007.
- The Wyrdest Link -- the second authorized Discworld quizbook, in a new hardback edition from Gollancz, published April 2006.
Books by David Langford
First hardback, first paperback and in-print editions only.
Title links lead to cover scans, contents lists where applicable, and details of all editions -- including review extracts.
- The Necronomicon with George Hay, Robert Turner and Colin Wilson -- "non-fact" reconstruction and critique of this "lost occult book". Jersey, Neville Spearman, 1978 hardback. London, orgi trade paperback, 1980. In print: London, Skoob Books, 1992 trade paperback.
- War in 2080: The Future of Military Technology -- popular non-fiction. Newton Abbot (Devon), David & Charles/Westbridge, 1979 hardback. BUY London, Sphere paperback, 1981.
- An Account of a Meeting with Denizens of Another World, 1871, allegedly by William Robert Loosley -- 'non-fact' UFO book. Newton Abbot (Devon), David & Charles, 1979 hardback. Central narrative summarized without permission or payment by Whitley Strieber in Majestic, 1989 hardback. BUY
- Facts and Fallacies: a Book of Definitive Mistakes and Misguided Predictions with Chris Morgan -- non-fiction. Exeter (Devon), Webb & Bower, 1981 hardback. London, Corgi. 1982 paperback.
- The Space Eater -- sf novel. London, Arrow, 1982. Reissued: New York, E-Reads, 2003; Cosmos Books trade paperback, 2004.
- The Science in Science Fiction with Peter Nicholls and Brian Stableford -- popular non-fiction. London, Michael Joseph, 1982 hardback. New York, Knopf, 1983 large-format paperback.
- Micromania: the Whole Truth about Home Computers with Charles Platt -- popular non-fiction. London, Gollancz, 1984 hardback. BUY London, Sphere, 1984 paperback (slightly revised). BUY This was a revision for the UK market of the Platt book; the US edition is by him alone.
- The Leaky Establishment -- satirical novel of British nuclear research. London, Frederick Muller, 1984 hardback. BUY London, Sphere, 1985 paperback. Reissued: Holicong PA, Cosmos Books trade paperback, August 2003, with introduction written by Terry Pratchett for the 2001 edition. BUY
- The Third Millennium: A History of the World AD 2000-3000 with Brian Stableford -- futurological non-fiction. London, Sidgwick & Jackson, 1985 hardback. London, Paladin, 1988 trade paperback.
- The TransAtlantic Hearing Aid -- informal report, written for sf fan insiders, of a trip to the 1980 World SF Convention (Boston, USA) under the kindly auspices of the TransAtlantic Fan Fund. Chichester (Suffolk), Inca Press, 1985 paperback. BUY
- A Novacon Garland -- two-story chapbook published Ace-Double-style with a James White story as GoH fiction chapbook, Novacon 15. Birmingham, Birmingham SF Group, 1985 paperback.
"Duel of Words"
- Earthdoom! with John Grant -- world-shattering spoof disaster novel. London, Grafton, 1987 paperback. Bristol, UK, BeWrite Books, 2003 trade paperback.
- Platen Stories -- collection of esoteric Langford sf fanzine material published by the 1987 World SF Convention (Brighton, England), at which I was a guest. Cambridge, Conspiracy '87, 1987 paperback. BUY
- Critical Assembly -- collection of the first 50 of the 'Critical Mass' sf/fantasy review columns I wrote for a series of UK games magazines (White Dwarf, GM, GMI). Reading, Ansible Information, 1987 A4 paperback, revised and reset 1992. See The Complete Critical Assembly below.
- The Dragonhiker's Guide to Battlefield Covenant at Dune's Edge: Odyssey Two -- sf/fantasy parody collection. Birmingham, Drunken Dragon Press, 1988 hardback. See He Do The Time Police In Different Voices below.
- Critical Assembly II, sf review columns 51 to 101. Reading, Ansible Information, 1992 A4 paperback. See The Complete Critical Assembly below.
- Irrational Numbers, vaguely Lovecraftian technohorror stories. Rhode Island, Necronomicon Press, 1994 paperback.
- The Unseen University Challenge, "Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook". London, Gollancz/Vista, 1996 paperback. London, Gollancz, July 2005 small-format hardback. (In print, UK only.) Quizbook updates.
- The Silence of the Langford, essays, criticism and stories. New England, NESFA Press, 1996 trade paperback. BUY
- The Encyclopedia of Fantasy ed. John Clute and John Grant. London, Little Brown (Orbit), April 1997 hardback. A Clute/Grant rather than a Langford book, of course, but as a Contributing Editor who wrote 80,000 words of the thing I reckon I have a stake in it....
- Pieces of Langford ed. John & Eve Harvey. Tonwell, Herts., Auld Lang Fund Press, Easter 1998 paperback. Selection of 25 "Langford" columns from SFX magazine.
- A Cosmic Cornucopia with Josh Kirby -- text commentary for this book of Josh's paintings. London, Paper Tiger (an imprint of Collins and Brown), November 1999 large-format paperback.
- The Complete Critical Assembly -- collected and slightly revised omnibus edition of Critical Assembly and Critical Assembly II. 101 Langford sf/fantasy review columns, with afterthoughts and index. New Jersey, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), April 2001 hardback; October 2002 trade paperback.
- Guts with John Grant -- utterly tasteless spoof horror novel, written in the late 1980s on commission from Grafton books and paid for by that company, but never published until now. New Jersey, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), August 2001 hardback and trade paperback.
- The Wyrdest Link, "A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook". London, Gollancz, April 2002 trade paperback. London, Gollancz, April 2006 small-format hardback. (In print, UK only.)
- Up Through an Empty House of Stars: Reviews and Essays 1980-2002 -- one hundred previously uncollected critical pieces on sf and allied genres. Holicong, PA, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), May 2003 hardback and November 2003 trade paperback.
- He Do The Time Police In Different Voices -- a collection of 25 Langford parodies and pastiches incorporating the whole of The Dragonhiker's Guide to Battlefield Covenant at Dune's Edge: Odyssey Two plus some 40,000 words of additional material. Holicong, PA, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), July 2003 hardback and trade paperback.
- Different Kinds of Darkness -- a collection of 36 "straight" (non-parodic) Langford sf, fantasy and horror stories, including the whole "Blit" sequence leading up to the Hugo-winning title piece which won the Hugo for best short story. Holicong, PA, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), January 2004 hardback and trade paperback.
- The SEX Column and other misprints -- a new collection of 133 Langford pieces from SFX magazine, 1995-2005. Comprises 128 columns, the complete run to March 2005, and five additional features, with occasional updates and afterthoughts, plus an index. Rockville, MD, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), July 2005 hardback and trade paperback.
- The End of Harry Potter? -- nonfiction "unauthorized guide" to J.K. Rowling's series. London, Gollancz, 9 November 2006 small-format hardback.
- The Apricot Files -- nonfiction collection of columns written for Apricot File, 1985-1988. Reading, Ansible Information (in association with Lulu.com), 27 November 2007 trade paperback.
- The Limbo Files -- nonfiction collection of columns written for 8000 Plus, PCW Plus and PCW Today, 1986-2002. Rockville, MD, Cosmos Books (an imprint of Wildside Press), March 2009 trade paperback.
- Starcombing: columns, essays, reviews and more-- 85 previously uncollected Langford pieces published in the 21st century; mostly nonfiction but including four short-short stories. Cosmos Books, May 2009 hardback and trade paperback.
Edited by David Langford
- Wrath of the Fanglord, a compilation of favourite fanzine articles by other hands which were published at one time or another by Langford. Contributors: Steve Stiles (new cover art), Terry Pratchett, Bob Shaw, Chris Priest, Peter Nicholls, Tom Holt, Ian Watson, D. West, Patrick Parrinder, Colin Fine, Nick Lowe, Atom, and Margaret Welbank. Minneapolis, Rune Press, April 1998 in fanzine format for Minicon 23, where Langford was fan guest. US quarto fanzine format.
- Maps: The Uncollected John Sladek, comprising 60 of Sladek's stories, essays, poems, playlets and collaborations with Thomas Disch which were never collected during his own lifetime. Compiled, edited and introduced by Langford. Oxfordshire, Big Engine, June 2002. Trade paperback. Reissued: Holicong PA, Cosmos Books hardback and trade paperback, 2003.
|Home Bibliography Central Writing|